There’s been plenty to celebrate since Oklahoma first legalized medical cannabis in 2018. In fact, Oklahoma has helped grant its citizens access to cannabis that’s unequalled in many ways by other medical states. However, getting a medical card in Oklahoma can still be a little confusing for new patients. That’s why we’re helping readers get access to any Oklahoma City cannabis dispensary and dispensaries statewide with this post.
Want to Shop at an Oklahoma City Cannabis Dispensary? Become an Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Patient
Since Oklahoma law only legalizes medical marijuana and not recreational cannabis, only medical patients may shop at an Oklahoma City cannabis dispensary. Luckily, the state has made things easy on patients seeking cannabis for relief.
While some states require patients to suffer from one of several conditions, Oklahoma doesn’t. Instead, the state will accept any medical marijuana recommendation from a licensed physician. Cannabis-friendly physicians often prescribe medical marijuana to patients suffering from:
- Chronic pain or inflammation: one of the main reasons that patients seek medical cannabis.
- Cachexia (wasting syndrome): a condition characterized by low appetite and rapid muscle loss.
- HIV/AIDS: medical cannabis may help patients suffering from HIV/AIDS to relieve pain and maintain appetite.
- Cancer: medical marijuana could help patients find relief from low appetite, pain, and inflammation associated with both cancer and chemotherapy.
- Neuropathic pain: cannabis may be particularly effective at relieving this type of pain, which arises from nerve damage.
- Eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia: “the munchies” may help those suffering from these conditions stimulate their appetites.
- Glaucoma: one of the longest-researched possibilities for medical cannabis applications.
- Crohn’s disease: as an inflammatory disorder, medical cannabis could help soothe patient symptoms.
What Do I Need to Complete My Medical Marijuana Application?
Oklahoma has made applying for a medical marijuana card simpler than nearly any other state. In fact, adults may apply for their medical marijuana license directly on the state’s website. A complete application must include several pieces of information, including:
- Physician Recommendation Form: with patient and physician information filled out and signed by physician. You must submit this form within 30 days of your doctor signing it. If someone is applying to be your caregiver, the same doctor must sign their application.
- Proof of Identity: acceptable documents include US passport, current driver’s license, or any tribal ID that the Department of Public Safety would also accept.
- Digital Photo: must feature a plain or off-white background. You may not wear glasses or hats, or show your teeth. The top of your head and your shoulders must be visible. Finally, the photo can’t be fuzzy or blurry.
- Proof of Residency: acceptable documents include current driver’s license, voter ID card, residential deed to a property in Oklahoma, utility bill, or current Oklahoma rental agreement.
- Proof of Medicare, Medicaid, or Veteran Status (Optional): may include medicare card, medicaid enrollment letter, or a veteran status letter citing 100 percent disability.
That’s not all you’ll need, though. Once you finish your application, you will need to submit your application fee. Applicants must pay a $100 application fee via credit card on Oklahoma’s online system. The state requires an additional $20 for patients submitting medicare, medicaid, or veteran status claims.
Finally, applicants must set up a profile on the state’s online cannabis database. To do that, you’ll need a username, password, and email address. Make sure the information you submit is secure and accurate. The state will use this login to share information with you.
After Your Application is Approved: Shop at This Oklahoma City Cannabis Dispensary
After you submit your application, you should receive a response from the state in less than 90 days. If you’re approved, you’ll be able to shop at any cannabis dispensary statewide. Check out this Oklahoma City cannabis dispensary for some of the best prices and highest quality in the area!